3.21.2013

Miller::3.5 years (ish)

Nice title, huh?  I have been meaning to do a post all about my firstborn for quite a while.  I want to remember all of the the little things that I love about him {and even the things that drive me crazy} at this stage.  Technically, he is three years and seven months right now, but that's pretty close to three and a half.
Miller is 3'2" tall right now and weighs 36.5 pounds.

He is beginning to play pretend and usually wants me to pretend to be him while he pretends to be me or his teacher.  Other times he likes to pretend we're at Chick-Fil-A and he serves me food, ha!  Sometimes he gets really creative and we're on a rocket or something, but usually his make believe is based very closely to his real life experiences.  When he puts on costumes he grins and giggles as though he's tricking me and then says, "It's still me mommy.  I'm just wearing a costume."  He totally thinks he fooled me.
Creative Storytelling day at the library

Naps.  Oh beloved naps.  He could probably drop his afternoon nap at this point, but I am fighting it with every fiber of my being.  I covet this time in the afternoons not only for my sanity, but also because it's really the only time I can get things done around the house and prep for dinner.  I'll probably have to give in and let him move to "rest" time with quiet toys in my bedroom soon.  He often wakes Jacob up while he fights sleep by jumping on his bed, kicking his headboard, yelling at talking to his animals.  Once he finally gets still {usually after a spanking} he goes straight to sleep.  I'd love any tips or suggestions for rest time!  We've found him many afternoons under his bed after he finally gives in to sleep.
Even though his naps at home are going downhill, Miller is finally taking really good naps on long car trips.  He understands that if he sleeps it will feel like we got to our destination faster and actually tries to sleep.  He even goes back to sleep if something wakes him up sometimes.  Fabulous.
He is still a good night-time sleeper, but started having bad dreams around his third birthday.  They seemed to peak when we moved into the new house, but have lessened recently.

For some reason the move had a positive effect on potty training and he was fully potty trained within a couple of weeks of us moving in.  He was almost all the way there, but for some reason things just clicked even more after we moved.

As you may have noticed from many of the pictures, blue blankie is still a member of the family.  Miller likes to sleep with it, watch cartoons with it, and take it in the car {although we don't always let him take it everywhere}.  He also went through a phase recently where he wanted "baby" all of the time.  He even named her "Annie" after his new baby cousin.  These days his tiger lovie has taken the place of baby Annie.

Miller LOVES to talk.  All.  day.  long.  I am so grateful that he has such a great vocabulary and language skills, but he wears me out, ya'll.  I probably hear, "Hey, let me tell you something" about five hundred times a day.  This is another reason I'm clinging to naptime.  And also part of the reason he wakes Jacob up, ha!  In addition to his nonstop rambling, he WILL NOT stop repeating himself until you acknowledge whatever he is telling you.  A nod will not do.  You must take part in the conversation.  Like I said, a huge blessing, but exhausting nonetheless.
His "cheese" face

He also loves being outside.  His favorite things to do are ride his bike, ride the four wheeler with daddy, play with his dump trucks in the gravel around his swingset, and swing {not alone though}.

Miller is mostly sweet to Jacob, but he has his moments.  His guilty face is easy to read though and he fesses up if he's done something he shouldn't.  Usually the not-so-nice things he does are push him over, try to slide him across the hardwood floors, or take a toy from him.

Another favorite activity for Miller is building fires with daddy.  He wants to build a fire every night {which I certainly don't mind} and I think he'll be pretty bummed when it gets too hot for fires.

Miller loves to snuggle while watching cartoons and before naps or bed.  He often asks, "Will you just lay with me, mommy?"  Once we get settled, he cuddles up close to me and says in his sweet little voice, "This is so cozy."  Melt my heart.

His favorite cartoon is Bubble Guppies, his favorite movie is Toy Story 2, and his favorite books are Chuck's Stunt Park, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, and The Jesus Storybook Bible.  This is an awesome children's Bible if you're in the market for one.

Miller knows all of his letters, but sometimes forgets one here or there.  He is beginning to realize that letters make words and we have practiced CVC words a few times.  I'm letting him take the lead and working on reading as he's interested at this point.  There's still plenty of time for that and I certainly don't want to push him beyond his readiness.  He recognizes a few numbers, but has gotten much better at counting.  He understands one-to-one correspondence, but occasionally gets going to fast if he isn't paying close attention.  He grasps the concepts of comparison {more than or less than} and sorting by various attributes.  He can complete a simple pattern needing a little help occasionally.

He has discovered unhealthy foods and it seems there is no going back.  For the longest time, I tried to shield him from so many things, because I knew I wouldn't always be able to.  He is still a great fruit eater and will eat almost any vegetable with a little persuasion, but he would eat snacks and carbs all day if we let him.  He has never been a big meat/chicken eater, but is getting better as he gets older.  Overall, he still has a very healthy diet, it just isn't as easy as it used to be.
Good thing he doesn't fight brushing his teeth!  Miller had his second dentist appointment a few weeks ago.  He did great and he didn't have any cavities!
 

I know I'm partial, but Miller is a pretty clever kid.  He's constantly saying, "Uh oh, mommy.  We have a problem" quickly followed by, "I have an idea!" with a solution to his problem.  Granted, the solutions are usually farfetched, but it is so cool to see his little brain spinning.  A few weeks ago, he noticed this place on our limestone fireplace:
Just to give you a reference point, it is only about an inch big.  He asked what it was and we told him it is a fossil.  We tried to explain {in three year old terms} what a fossil is.  I asked him, "What kind of plant or animal do you think used to be there?"  Without even pausing he answered, "A penguin."  So funny!  It does look a little like a penguin, I'll give him that :)
 
Miller so desperately wants a playmate {which is usually me} and I look forward to the days when he and Jacob can play together.  Although I'm sure they'll have their share of fights, I know he will love having someone to play with.
 
Nothing like an indoor Easter egg hunt in pajamas on a rainy day!

My sweet, precious Miller, you bring me so much joy and laughter each and every day.  You are such a smart, funny, little ball of energy and I love spending my days watching you learn and grow.  Being a mommy has exhausting and frustrating moments that ultimately reveal my own sin and selfishness.  I'm thankful for the Lord's faithfulness and grace that covers my many failures.  I pray every single day that you will know this gracious gift one day and that you will know how loved you are.  I spend a lot of time trying to teach you to be obedient, but I know that you will never be perfect.  Nor will I.  Above all, I pray that you will see Him at work within me and desire to know Him too.  I love you more than you could ever know.  You made me a mother; the greatest job I've ever known.  Thank you for showing me how to love unconditionally.  I'm so proud of you, baby boy!  Oh, and in case you're reading this and your fifteen, you promised me yesterday that you will always snuggle with me no matter how big you are.  I'm kind of expecting this look when I remind you of this pact.

No comments:

Post a Comment