8.12.2010

Bye Bye Bottle & Stairmaster

We have a few accomplishments to update on.  About a week ago we said "bye-bye" to Miller's bottle!  This was sort of an accidental accomplishment.  About a month ago, Miller was finally able to drink out of his sippy cup, but he didn't really want to and would protest until I gave him a bottle.  I asked for tips from other parents on facebook and the majority seemed to respond that I needed to just go cold turkey and take away his bottle completely.  This caught me a little off guard and I must admit that I was hesitant to do something quite so drastic so early {11 months}.  Being a first time mom though I often doubt myself, the job I'm doing, and where Miller should be developmentally.  I just don't have much to compare to.  I was so thankful for a few friends {and my mom} who encouraged me to give him a little more time.  Only two weeks later he was doing so much better with his sippy cup!  I felt completely comfortable with giving him a bottle for each meal and his cup at snack time.  Within a couple of days, we traded out the lunch bottle for his cup.  He just rolled right with it.  Within a week or so he was down to no bottles at all and didn't seem to mind one bit.  Now, don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are plenty of babies who only get it when you go cold turkey and I would definitely have done this in the future if Miller just wasn't giving it up.  However, I want to give a huge THANK YOU to those of you who gave me encouragement when I doubted myself and my mothering skills.  I definitely needed to hear your words of support and it all worked out in the end!

Another thing that Miller has gotten really good at is climbing stairs.  He can go up and down all by himself {we of course stand by in case of a fall!}  Here is a video of him climbing them.  We took this a few weeks ago at Poppy & Cissy's and he has gotten much faster/better since then.  I just refuse to take a video of him on our disgusting carpeted stairs {which we'll be replacing soon - more on that to come} :)

No comments:

Post a Comment