12.24.2010

Merry Christmas!

I hope you all have a Merry Christmas!  During one of my quiet times this week, I was struck by something that I wanted to share with you.  I was reminded of how long the Israelites heard about and waited for Jesus.  I'm reading Numbers right now and in chapter 24 Balaam prophesies, "I see him , but not now; I behold him, but not near.  A star will come out of Jacob; a scepter will rise out of Israel."  I can only imagine the anticipation over the thousands of years of waiting and the excitement when He finally came.  A meager analogy, I know, but I thought of how excited Auburn fans are to have a shot at a National Championship for the first time in I don't know how long.  Or perhaps the elation Alabama fans experienced when Mark Ingram won the first Heisman for the school last year.  Like I said, these events pale in comparison to the coming of the Messiah, but it at least gave me a starting point to understanding how the Israelites might have felt when Jesus finally came.  We are priveledged to not have to wait.  He has already come and offers us grace and salvation!  I for one take this for granted at times though.  This Christmas I'm taking a moment to stop and reflect on the tremendous meaning of Christmas.  I'm going to put myself in the Israelites' shoes for a moment and rejoice that He has finally come!  And he came for me.  And for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment