9.07.2010

Thirteen Months

I have officially decided that Miller's monthly pictures next to his bear are a thing of the past.  I just can't seem to get him to sit still on my own and I always forget once Bryant gets home!  I did manage to collect a few pictures to document this age, however.  A few of Miller's favorite things {and some of Mommy's favorite new tricks}...
 "Driving" the car {or boat} 
Miller is more into reading these days.  As a teacher, I know how important reading aloud is and I was beginning to worry that Miller would hate to read!  It used to be that I had to initiate reading a book and it was rare that we'd make it through an entire book before he started to fuss.  These days, I'll catch him looking at books a lot and he'll even pick one out, bring it to me, and let me read him the whole thing.  Sometimes several times even.  The other day he climbed up on the sofa with me and we read the same three books for about thirty minutes.  It was so sweet and I love having this time with him.  His favorites right now seem to be Goodnight Moon, Brown Bear, Peak-a-Boo What,  and Baby's First Words. 
It is obvious that Miller is really started to understand what we're saying to him.  The picture above was when I told him to brush his hair.  He'll also brush mommy and daddy's hair if we tell him to.  He also understands the question "Where's your ____?" {ball, truck, train, wagon, book, etc)  It is so cute to watch him take off in the direction of one of his toys when I ask him about it.  When I say, "Let's go bye-bye" he'll go to the stairs that lead to the garage, "Let's go outside" he'll go to the back door, "Let's change your diaper" he'll go to his room, "Time for a bath" he'll crawl to the tub, and "Time to eat" he'll go to his high chair.  {Sorry for the many grammatical errors in that sentence.}

It is incredible how much his walking has improved in just a week.  He can go all the way across rooms now, turn around, and seems much sturdier. 
Miller LOVES to brush his teeth and giggles every time I brush them for him.  {By the way, this is not his toothbrush.  Just an extra that daddy lets him play with.}
 Daddy is still Miller's favorite person, for sure.  
I honestly can't say if this is a favorite or not.  Today was the first day we've taken a stroll in months since it's been so hot.  He did great today and even took a little catnap.  I hope it will be a fun outing for us both as Fall approaches.

Miller can point to his eye and even says the word sometimes when he does it.  Whenever I start singing "Head, Shoulders, Knees & Toes" he goes straight for his eye before I even get to that part.  We're working on the other parts, but he seems pretty stuck on eye for now.  He also likes to sing  "Row, Row, Row Your Boat", "The Wheels on the Bus", "London Bridges", "Arky Arky", and"Ring Around the Rosy" complete with a plop down at the end {or sometimes earlier if he gets overly anxious}.

He is still a great eater and I'm thankful that he hasn't gotten picky yet.  He's a little funny about peas and beans, but will eat them if they're mashed.  I guess it's the skin on them or something.  He sometimes eats a little of what we're having for dinner, but mostly sticks to fruits and veggies.  I'm sure people think I'm a wacky, health nut, but I'm just trying to be as healthy as possible as long as I have control over what he eats.  For now he eats:  asparagus, avocado, broccoli, spinach, lima beans {as long as they're mashed}, soy beans {mashed}, english peas, carrots, potatoes, green beans {mashed}, sweet potatoes, squash, apples, banana, blueberries, rasberries, strawberries, mushrooms, black beans, plain yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, plain cheerios, wheat bread, and eggs.  Bananas are by far his favorite.  He has seven teeth now and I'm feeling less anxious about whether or not he can chew things.  He drinks whole milk and we're working on getting him to drink water.

Sorry for so many details, but I want to remember everything I can about Miller right now!  Sorry to be so selfish in my posting ;)

1 comment:

  1. You will be so glad that you documented these things, memory fades quickly particularly when it comes to dates and firsts. Pop commented last night that he missed our Miller man. I had to agree. He changes so very quickly, it is most certainly a miracle to watch his development.
    love you all,
    Gran (and Pop too!)

    ReplyDelete