1.07.2011

Seventeen Months

I realized too little too late that I didn't do a post when Miller turned sixteen months old.  I thought then that I might wait until eighteen months to start spacing them out some.  After all, if the doctor doesn't need to see him between fifteen and eighteen months, there must not be too many changes.   Right?  Wrong.  I am shocked by how much Miller has learned and changed in these past two months and I want to remember him for how he is right now.  He'll probably be in college next month at the rate that he changes.  You can read about him at fifteen months here to see what I mean.  I have no idea how much Miller weighs since we haven't been to the doctor since his last appointment, but my arms and back can attest to the fact that he is growing just fine.  We've had a lot of PJ days around here as I try to get the house back in order from Christmas and it's too cold to play outside.
We hit a major bump in the road in regards to naps back around Thanksgiving.  As in, he refused to nap.  At all.  Thankfully, those days are in the past and he is returning to his normal not-so-bad-at-napping self.  He never has been, and I fear never will be, a great napper, but after those few weeks of no naps I'll take what I can get.  He just about always cries when I leave his room at nap time, but it only lasts a few minutes.  After defeating his blanket and lovie in a few WWE matches he drifts off to sleep and stays that way for an hour and fifteen minutes max.  It doesn't matter if it's his only nap of the day or he is taking two, it is always no longer than one hour and fifteen minutes and it's usually that exact amount of time.  I think it's weird.  Does he have an internal alarm clock?  How does he know?  Due to this fact Miller is still taking two naps a day and may continue in this fashion until he drops naps completely.  {On days when that's possible of course.  Sometimes one nap is inevitable.}  I do not ever envision him taking one long afternoon nap.  Hopefully I'm wrong, but we'll see.

His vocabulary is also growing by the day and his favorite word of the moment is "off".  This can mean "off", "on", "get me out of this bed", "come play with me", "I don't want you to sit there" etc., etc, etc...

Some of his other new "words":
"nana" - banana {You'd think he could use this in reference to his actual Nana, but for some unknown reason he calls her "Ball"}
"yoks" - socks
"choo choo" - train
"bee" - blanket
"bee" - bread
"wa wa" - water
"doe" - door
"me me" - meow meow{In response to, "What does  a cat say?}
"wuf" - ruff {"What does a dog say?"}
"iss" - kiss
"trutch" - truck
"kay" - kate
"cot" - scott
"bup" - up
"peas" - please
"ot" - hot


I am also amazed at Miller's language comprehension.  Even though he can only say about 25-30 words, he understands countless objects and action verbs.  If I ask him to bring me a specific book, he can pick it out from about thirty other books quickly and bring me the one I asked for based on its cover.  It is the same way with toys and common household objects.  Pretty incredible.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that my specific child is an incredible prodigy.  I am pointing to the fact that our Lord created us in a pretty incredible fashion and I am in awe of Him as I watch Miller grow and develop.

Here's another cute "trick" he's learned.  If he can't find someone or something he'll put up his hands like this and say their name {or the object} over and over again as if to say "Where is it?"

His favorite person is still...
As if that's really an update.  :)

His favorite books at the moment are Chicka Chicka ABC, Brown Bear, and Moo Baa La La La. It's hard to say what his favorite toy is right now since he has so many new ones.  I think he is still in the mode of figuring them all out and hasn't really landed on one yet.  He does however have a new fascination with getting all of his "bees" out of his crib and carrying them around with him for a while.  Then they are dropped and forgotten wherever they land until it's time for him to go to sleep.  At that point we MUST find them.
Just thinking to myself, at what point is it a ridiculous to continue a monthly post?  I mean, will I stalk him in his college dorm room at eighteen years and six months??? 

3 comments:

  1. I am putting in a vote to continue with the monthly post. So informative!
    Love,
    Aunt "Kay"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Post as often as you have time. I love it.I feel like I am getting to watch him grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures! Can't wait to get my hands on him again and a couple of big sloppy kisses. He is so much fun!
    I too love the posts, such a good way to share the enjoyment with all of us and to document his growth for the future.
    miss you and love you,
    Mom/Gran

    ReplyDelete