1.04.2011

LAST Christmas post & a heartfelt confession

So it's taken me much longer than I expected to wrap up all of our Christmas posts, but better late than never I guess.  I really want to have it all documented for our family so please bear with me for one more; I promise it is the last!

Christmas day we drove through the "blizzard" {that's a few inches in these parts in case any yankees are reading} to Gran and Pop's house.  We got to celebrate with them through Monday and were once again all spoiled with way too many gifts, ate like gluttons, and enjoyed lazy days in front of the fire.
 Miller checking out his stocking.  We were all out of clean Christmas jammies by this point.
Cozied up in his cute new chair.  We decided to take the legs off for now so that it's easier for him to get in and out of.  It looks so cute in his playroom!  Unfortunately Oreo has also taken a liking to it...
Brad and Lauren got him this fun drum set full of other noise-making-instruments.  They neglected to get Bryant and I any Advil though...  It really is cute and Miller loves it.  I can't ask for more than that.

And of ALL the presents Miller received, his favorite was {cue the drum roll - literally}.....
 
 spoons and forks!!!  He carried these with him everywhere and played with them the entire time we were there.  Mom is probably still finding them tucked in places.

Well, that about wraps up our holidays!  It is always so sad to me when Christmas is over.  I put away all of our indoor decorations on Sunday {with a few Lifetime movies to help the time pass by- thanks, Blair!!} and our house feels so empty now.  All I have to do is step in the playroom to see the remnants of the holiday and feel a bit overwhelmed.  Can I just be honest for a minute?  Part of me feels like I'll have to give away half of Miller's toys before his next birthday.  How do you parents do it?  Where do you put all of this stuff?  Really, it makes me a little sick to think of how completely blessed we are.  We have such an overflowing abundance while some are just struggling to eat.  I also wrestle with fears that we are spoiling Miller and creating a monster.  Is this really what we want him to learn about Christmas?  I don't know how to balance it all and I'm sorry to be such a Debbie Downer, but my soul is uneasy.  I feel as though the Holy Spirit is working in me, but I'm just not sure of what the Lord wants me to actually do about it.  Will I really not give my child a gift for Christmas?  Would I ask others that love him so to not give him anything if they desire?  Of course not.  I don't think I can go that far.  But I can feel the Lord asking me, "Will you ignore this conviction I've given you?"  Of course not.  I know I can't go that far.

So, blog reading friends, would you pray for me?  Pray that I will understand God's will and what he is trying to say to me.  Most importantly, pray that I will have the strength to do whatever it is he asks, no matter how difficult or against the "norm" it may be.  After all, He sent His son to this earth to die for you and for me.  You can't get much more out of the "norm" than that.

3 comments:

  1. OMG. I was about to blog about the exact same thing. I sat on our couch and bawled the other night. Totally torn between being overwhelmed with blessings and disgusted at the excess. I'm not sure yet what to do with my conviction either. I have been making the girls go through their toys to give stuff away but I still think, there are people who can't eat, who don't know God, who are abused and broken, couldn't some of this money be spent on them. And we are givers! We tithe to our church and support missions but I still wonder if it's enough and where do I draw the line. Because in the same breath that I'm disgusted by what we have, part of me still wants more. It is gross to me to see that in myself but it's the truth. Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Whitney! Thankfully, our parents went really easy on gifts this year. I begged my Mom not to go overboard like last year (and she didn't)and Rodney's parents give the kids a small gift and a big savings bond to put away. They feel like they get to pick out something to play with AND they are investing in their future. I really like that. Anyway, I blew our plan (and our budget) and went a little overboard for our kids this year. Our plan has been and will be next year, and years thereafter, to get the kids 3 gifts at Christmas because that's how many gifts Jesus got on His birthday. Our focus is on Jesus, of course and our Jesse tree is a main Christmas event/family time. Hannah knows who "Santa" is (a man dressed up), but we do not pretend that he exists for real or that a wealth of gifts appears from the jolly old fella. I guess we'll have to figure out next year how to explain to her that Santa is not real and does not bring gifts but that some kids pretend that he is and shouldn't be told that he is not real because it might upset them. Guess we'll see how that goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love the first photo of Miller in front of the tree, if that is not the face and emotion of an angel shown, I don't know what could be. In my mind I have this video (wish we had thought to record it) of the sheer wonder and amazement on Miller's face as he played with the flashlight and followed it around the ceiling and walls saying "off" "off" (which of course meant on).
    He was such a testimony of the power and love of God for all of us.

    As far as the abundance of toys, with so many relatives that adore him, that is just part of it. If it makes you feel any better, I too struggled with the same emotions/thoughts/convictions when you and Brad were young. Both of you turned out just fine,....not too spoiled. Miller already is a loving and obedient little boy. I think the important thing is BALANCE which you and Bryant and grandparents are certainly giving to Miller. We are all so blessed, but if you think about all of your Christmas activities this season, you will see the balance and the positive lessons you are teaching him. I am so grateful for the loving family we all have.
    As always, you are in my thoughts and prayers.
    I love you,
    Mom/Gran

    ReplyDelete