2.01.2011

Who Made the Moon?

I was at Lifeway in December and saw this book on sale for $2.97.  Hmm... I wondered, is this "deal" a chance for me to get a great book at a low price OR is it less than $3 for a reason?  Only one way to find out!  I decided it was worth the risk, especially since I've been wanting to learn more about this very subject.  Ever since I got pregnant with Miller I became overwhelmed with this sense of, well, how do I put this ... dumbness.  I realized how many simple questions I don't have the answers to.  I know the major things I believe, but what about the things my little boy might ask me when he's six.  "What does the Bible say about dinosaurs?", "If we all came from Adam and Eve why are their different races?", "Why does that museum say this fossil is 6 billion years old, but the Bible doesn't go back that far?"  etc, etc, etc.  Now I'm sure I've lost many of you already.  Some of you are probably thinking, "Is she for real?  Does she really believe in the Bible?  Gasp!"  Yes, I do.  For real.  Hang with me though... I think you might find this book interesting.

By page five I was hooked and could totally relate to this guy after reading about when his three year old daughter asked him one night, "Who made the moon?"
 That summer evening on the deck, as the last chorus of the coyotes faded, it was easy enough to pick up Savannah and whisper back the answer.  God did.  It was an answer she accepted and trusted because it was Daddy's answer.  But almost certainly the day will come when she'll wonder if Daddy's answer is enough.
The book jacket sums up the point of the book by stressing the importance for Believers to "see that science is not a challenge to faith, but a beautiful compliment, affirming rather than denying the truths of Genesis".

Brouwer is obviously a very intelligent person, but he does a marvelous job of "dumbing" down all of the science for readers like me.  Make no mistake though, he backs up every fact and figure with thorough references.  There is WAY too much for me to go into here, but if you're interested in how science points to the idea that God purposefully created the universe (and us) then you should check it out.  There were some parts of Brouwer's beliefs/Biblical interpretations that I'm not sure I agree with, but they encouraged me to learn more about those issues.  I LOVE that God doesn't ask us to check our brains at the door when we become Christians.  Yes, there is always an element to faith that involves trust and we will never have all of the answers.  However, I wholeheartedly believe that God reveals himself to us through science and archeology.  He does not desire to remain hidden from us. 

When I started focusing on those differences I had with him, Brouwer won me back and had me "agree to disagree" with his closing words:
In the end, regardless of how I harmonize faith and science for myself, I do know this with certainty:  it doesn't matter to me whether [my daughters] come to the truths of the Bible by choosing the foundation of a creationist view of Genesis (which embraces six twenty-four-hour days), an intelligent-design view of Genesis, or a theistic-evolution view of Genesis.  After my life's journey, when I walk through heaven's gate, I just want to know that at the end of my daughters' jorneys, they, too, will be there.
Bottom line, I just want Miller to know Jesus.  
End of story.
Do any of you out there have any good book recommendations on this topic?  I'd love to learn more!

I leave you with this quote from Francis Bacon that I fell in love with while reading this book:

A little science estranges a man from God.  A lot of science brings him back.

No comments:

Post a Comment