6.09.2011

Yummy Recipe!

I was hesitant to put the name of the recipe as the title for fear that you would turn your nose up and not read on.  I promise these really are good!  And they're healthy.  Twice the reason to try them.
Carrot-Zucchini Muffins

1 cup flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 egg, slightly beaten
3/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 medium carrots, shredded
1 medium zucchini, shredded

Combine first seven ingredients in a large bowl.  Make a well in the center of mixture.  Stir together egg, orange juice, and butter.  Add to dry ingredients, stirring until just moistened (will be thick).  Fold in carrots and zucchini.  Spoon into greased muffin pans.  Bake at 400 for 18-20 minutes.  Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire rack.

Can be frozen up to 3 months.

I also threw in about a fourth a cup of flax-seed mill just to boost the nutrients even more.  The jury...
the verdict...
Miller LOVES these!  I'm talking asks for them {he calls them "pink" because the first one he had was in a pink liner} and eats two every time.  To me, they're pretty good.  Probably because I'm a sugar junky.  If I were making them for me, I'd probably up the sugar a little bit.  Maybe to 1/2 a cup.  My intent was to make a healthy breakfast or snack for him though so I'll leave it alone.  This recipe made two dozen so I might double it next time since they freeze well.  I'm all about cooking in bulk and freezing.   I should note that my friend Jessica sent me this recipe.  I think she got it from one of her friends.  Just didn't want to mislead anyone into thinking I turned into Rachel Ray or anything.  Give 'em a try!

1 comment:

  1. So glad Miller likes the muffins, so healthy. Enjoy it while he doesn't know any better! You know, before he truly discovers sugar. You are such a dedicated Mommy. Tell him to save a pink for Gran. See you soon,
    love
    mom/gran

    ReplyDelete