3.25.2011

Simple Life

I am hesitant to even write this post.  For one, I'm scared I'll "jinx" the life we have right now.  More importantly though, I fear rubbing salt into the wounds of working mothers who desire to be home, those with older children who probably aren't even reading this because they don't have time, or readers who are facing extreme trials.  However, it is so very important to me to document this place and time in the life of my family.

Life around here is simple these days.  I know that this won't always be the case and so I am pausing to graciously thank the Lord my God for this season.  I certainly won't say that life is perfect, but it is just  so very sweet and peaceful right now.  I realize how fortunate I am to be able to be home while Miller is young.  I see a future of carpools, homework, rushed dinners, and ball practice looming.  Don't get me wrong, I certainly look forward to these moments {well, most of them anyway}, but the past few days I have been overwhelmed with a sense of contentment and joy that I've known few times in my life.  

Right now I can take Miller on most some of my errands.  Those that are better attempted solo can usually be done while he is at Mother's Day Out twice a week.  The only schedule we must follow is naptime and we have no dress code to follow.
 
Literary learning takes form in reading the same "booksh" ten times, each time eliciting the same excitement as the first. 
 
Geometry skills mature with each block clink...
 
and nature is our very own science lab. 
  Art comes in the form of sidewalk chalk...
and musical abilities develop as we sing "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" fifty times a day.  My own relationship with the Lord has time to be cultivated through prayer and scripture reading during naptime and I pray that seeds are being planted in Miller's heart as we sing, read, and pray.  Outdoor recess lasts for hours...
 and strawberries and prunes might as well be Skittles and M&Ms.
Discipline problems at their worst involve taking shoes off and the occasional throwing of food.  Cuddles and laughter flow freely and kisses can fix any "boo-boo".   Most chores can be completed before Daddy gets home leaving plenty of time for throwing rocks, picking up sticks, and just being boys.  Life. is. good.

Now, please note that I did not say that life is perfect.  Just simple.  I continue to struggle with my own selfishness and lack of patience.  Miller is still not a great napper and his emerging communication abilities often lead to frustrating moments when I do not know what he wants.  {Like the time I mistook his excitement over rocking {as in naptime} for the fact that he wanted to be outside throwing rocks.  One word: meltdown}  Dinner prep is a struggle as we enter the "witching hour" and wait for Dada to get home.  No, life is not flawless.  It never will be.

During this season though, I often have a "garden of Eden" moment though and think, "this is how God meant for life to be" {about that time I am usually pelted with a green bean and brought back to reality}.  Seriously though, I hope that I can remember this time and just slow down when things get really busy.  I pray that I always put relationships first and not let chores, extracurricular activities, or anything else hinder them.  Remind me of that later, k?

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post! I think you are absolutely right and this is how God meant for it to be. You are fulfilling your calling! Glad I stopped to read this. Have fun dodging green beans. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessing to read. I still have great memories of my mom being home with us. Enjoy every minute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Whitney, thanks for sharing, what beautiful thoughts and what a blessing that you can take the time to see what your life is like. Made me cry which as you know is not easy to do. Brought back a million wonderful memories of the younger years of your and Brad's lives. I love you and am so thankful that you can take time to stop and smell the roses. Give Miller man a butterfly, Eskimo and big, wet sloppy kiss for me.
    God Bless you all,
    love
    Mom/Gran

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very special !

    ReplyDelete